Thursday, March 27, 2008

WoW Update - 27 Mar 2008

I logged in last night expecting either a Magtheridon's Lair run or a lot of Magister's Terrace spamming. In the end it was the latter - Supsop cancelled the planned run because of instance lag. So Isorla, Biancandrea (Doc's Retri pally), Herri, Yz and I grouped up to run Magister's Terrace.

For those of you unfortunate enough not to have run this yet, well, it's a hard instance. It's as much a pain in the ass as Shadow Labyrinth was when the expansion first hit the scene. There are trash pulls of four to six mobs; if your group can get past those, then there are boss fights that are harder than they originally seemed.

Or maybe I've just gotten spoiled with ASTIG instance runs and the presence of well-geared raiders. Biancandrea, while mostly epicced out with S1 gear, was still sporting greens. Yz, who had barely instanced since hitting 70, was still in mostly below-level blues and some greens.

The first boss took a while to kill. The second boss wiped us twice before we figured out a strategy to kill it - namely, having Yz put Dampen Magic on all of us except the tank so we'd take less damage from the Pure Magic mobs he summoned. The third boss we one-shotted, although we didn't kill her cleanly, Yz having died early in the boss fight.

Kael'thas was ridiculously hard. We wiped around a dozen times. We left the instance to repair and then came back to wipe again.

There were a lot of things working against us - bad class composition (three pallies), undergeared players (Yz, Bianca, even myself), and a boss fight that makes a pally healer weep in frustration. I just couldn't throw out heals fast enough in phase 2 of the Kael'thas fight. Often Yz would die early in the second phase, as he just didn't have enough HP.

We called it a night at 1:30 in the morning. I didn't get to do any dailies - Bleeding Hollow's 44% into Phase 1 so far - and I didn't get to kill Kael'thas.

After a lot of discussion with Isorla and Anyssa, I'll be respeccing this weekend to protection just to have a shot at finishing Magister's Terrace. There's no way I can heal through that instance alone, even with the gear I've currently got.

To help me prepare for a respec, I've gotten Herri and Isorla to agree to a Heroic Mech run tonight. I'm one Heroic Mech run away from exalting with the Sha'tar, which will in turn give me the Crest of the Sha'tar. I'll stick my gearing thoughts in another post so that I can refer to it at leisure; in the meantime I just want to crawl under my desk and fall asleep.

Sigh. Progression hurts.

No comments: