Sunday, March 2, 2008

WoW Update - 1 Mar 2008

Yesterday was not a very good day for WoW. I logged in as Avierra intending to run a few heroics and get some badges. A half hour into my farming run (for Thorium in Silithus) Waven, whose Kara group I used to run with, sent me a tell asking if I was free at 1 pm for a Kara run.

Since I was still saved to Kara with Supsop/Anyssa's group I told him I couldn't join... but since I kind of felt guilty about leaving the group, I offered to run Kara with my 'alt', Froufrou.

So right after lunch I got a text message from Waven asking me to log in Froufrou. I wasn't really expecting an invite, to be honest - Frou is a great farmer but I haven't had a lot of raiding experience with her.

The first sign I had of things not being all right was the raid group - full of ASTIG friends and allies I'd never run with. Rosetato I knew from old ASTIG, and of course Waven was there (on his alt Pareko), but more than half the raid, myself included, were on alts.

The next sign was that Waven went to LFG to fill out the raid. A dwarf pally named Gimbled and a gnome mage named Tinyman joined us. Gimbled was pretty good, very highly experienced and mostly epicced out. Tinyman was not bad, but he needed gear and experience.

We started our Kara run by one-shotting Attumen. Once we got to Moroes, however, everything went pear-shaped.

I was given contradictory instructions by Waven and another guy (who shall remain nameless for now) regarding add control. I needed to cheap shot one mob to stun it, then run after a second mob and blind it... then I needed to go back to the first mob and kill it before the second mob got out of blind! Needless to say, this method caused wipes.

We finally killed Moroes after five or six wipes (!) then proceeded to Maiden. We kept wiping to Maiden since the tanks kept kiting Maiden to the healers during Redemption to get them out of Redemption. Gimbled was very vocal about his unhappiness at this tactic. He shut up when Shard dropped, however.

We continued clearing to Opera and wiped a few times on BBW. At that point, sick and tired of the raid, we disbanded. My total repair bill was around 30 gold - on a character with mostly blue equipment.

Frou hit honored with Violet Eye and looted 5 Badges and Gloves of Dexterous Manipulation. But I'm not terribly happy about it. It was a massive waste of time and money without building up to my goals. While I enjoyed the break from farming engineering mats, I needed the badges on my main, not my alt. I don't think I'll be running with Waven again, at least not on Froufrou, and certainly not in any alt runs.

At least I got to spend some time farming engineering mats... Avierra hit 335 Engineering, a stone's throw away from the target 350.

No comments: