Wednesday, November 19, 2008

WoW Update - 19 Nov 2008: Almost a Liveblog

Zul'Drak is so grind-friendly it's making me stupid.

I've been playing for almost 11 hours straight with a few breaks and I'm in "the zone" - extreme tunnel vision, eye and hand fatigue, and a general inability to communicate with the world in any civilized manner. I'm 33% into 76 and will probably grit my teeth and get to 77 before the night is out - all to purchase Cold Weather Flying.

Zul'Drak is a brilliantly designed zone. Here is our first introduction to two important game factions - the Knights of the Ebon Hand and the Argent Crusade. The Ebon Hand storyline is insidious and almost macabre. The Argent Crusade storyline is desperate but militaristic. I've done the Argent Crusade dailies twice so far (succeeding at the timer once, failing the second time) and each time I find something to appreciate about the amount of thinking Blizzard put into this zone and these quests.

The Troll quests are immersive and well executed. On my screen I am a weapon of justice, scything my way across the landscape of the fallen, corrupt Drakkari trolls who rose up and ate - ate! - their gods. I've been on this quest chain for the past two hours and already it's beginning to blur into one long, manic sequence of attack after attack after attack, pausing only to loot and occasionally eat and drink. This is not a good way to be.

I'm so deep into the mid-game that my quest rewards no longer provide STA and instead offer me armor penetration, critical strike, hit or haste. I've upgraded my retribution set a number of times, and although I've been scouring the questlines for suitable rewards, my healing and tanking sets remain mostly intact since my first steps into Northrend.

24 hours to go till my WoW vacation ends. 77 or bust.

No comments: