Wednesday, October 15, 2008

WoW Update - 16 Oct 2008: 3.0 Hits

Bloodhoof was finally up by the time I got home and logged in. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my Schematic: Mana Potion Injector had sold on the Auction House, and that meant I was 600 more gold closer to my objective of an epic flyer for Avierra.

Avierra specced Retribution until Judgements of the Wise and Holy all the way after that. I put 2 points into Pursuit of Justice instead of Deflection as I'd earlier intended. I was dismayed that I wouldn't have Holy Shock any longer, but I hoped that all the points I put into Retribution would make up for the loss of my staple direct damage spell.

I spent another twenty minutes adjusting my actionbars. The new Judgment and Hand system kind of confused me for a few minutes. I was also a bit shocked to realize that I now had only 2 Blessings left to me - Might and Wisdom - after the respec. Light was gone, Kings was an unreasonable use of my talent points, and Salvation, Freedom and Sacrifice were now Hand spells. I headed into the Auction House and picked up a Glyph of Holy Light and a Glyph of Divinity, as per Siha's recommendation. Thus armed I headed to the Isle of Quel'danas.

The new spec is less prone to burst damage than the old spec. With Consecration, Retribution Aura, and the occasional Seal of Righteousness crit (and a Judgment damage pop) most mobs died pretty quickly. I didn't miss Holy Shock one bit, although I took a little bit more damage than usual thanks to the loss of Redoubt and Anticipation. And with Judgments of the Wise, Improved Blessing of Wisdom and the occasional Judgment of Wisdom I had no trouble whatsoever with mana.

The only thing I haven't been able to do is incorporate the new Avenging Wrath into my spell cycle, but no doubt I'll have that in hand by this weekend.

Froufrou's respec was much more straightforward. I put 2 points in Blade Twisting instead of into increased dodge as Blade Twisting gave me an additional 10% damage to my Sinister Strikes. Savage Combat was a passive proc and the only new ability I would need to integrate into my spell cycle was Killing Spree.

I picked up a Glyph of Sinister Strike and a Glyph of Slice and Dice from the Auction House and proceeded to do dailies. Killing Spree was a nice addition to Frou's already potent arsenal; my only complaint about it is that she doesn't really finish off all five strikes as whatever she hits usually dies by the third or fourth attack.

I'm also considering dropping Unfair Advantage as I haven't really seen it proc. That may just be a function of my scrolling text and the lack of my recording mods - I haven't updated Grim Reaper or Recount yet, after all. I'm keeping it on for now.

I tried to log into Sei to try out her new talents but for some reason she couldn't get on. It turns out that the server had somehow not loaded the entire continent of Kalimdor (Sei was in Theramore) and was booting anyone who tried to log in there. If you were unlucky all your characters were somewhere on the continent and all you were getting were "World server is down" messages.

The verdict - World of Warcraft 3.0 brings a much-needed breath of fresh air to what was becoming a stale, monotonous game. The new content is very much welcome, as is the opportunity to reconnect with one's characters on a new level. I'm looking forward to hitting Northrend with both my 70's when the expansion pack comes out - in the meantime, there're all sorts of Achievements I want for my toons.

No comments: